Ankylosing spondylitis is a form of arthritis that basically affects the spine. AS can cause inflammation to the spinal joints, this can then lead to chronic pain and discomfort.
Early diagnosis and treatment helps control pain and stiffness and may lessen or prevent critical deformation.
- Constant pain back pain
- Pain and stiffness in the low back
- Pain and stiffness in the buttocks
- Pain and stiffness around the hips that continue for more than three months.
There are no straight up cure for AS, yet there are treatments that can reduce discomfort and improve one’s function. The objectives of treatment are to:
- Reduce pain and stiffness
- Maintain a good posture
- Prevent deformity
- Preserve the ability to perform normal activities
When properly treated, people who suffer from AS may lead a fairly normal lives. A program of daily exercise helps reduce stiffness, strengthen the muscles around the joints and prevent or minimize the risk of disability. We will use gentle techniques to not aggravate your condition.
Learn more about this condition and ask us how we can help you at Dee Why!