The abnormal narrowing of the spinal canal is called spinal stenosis. This may occur in any of the regions of the spine. Now, in people with spinal stenosis, the spine is narrowed in one or more of three parts:
- The space at the centre of the spine
- The canals where nerves branch out from the spine
- The space between vertebrae (the bones of the spine).
This narrowing, which occurs most often in the lower back or neck, can put pressure on the spinal cord or nerves that branch out from the squeezed areas.
Most common symptoms of someone with spinal stenosis:
- Standing discomfort
- Discomfort/pain, in shoulder, arm, hand
- Bilateral symptoms
- Buttock / Thigh only
- Below the knee
Although there is no absolute cure for spinal stenosis, alternative treatment like chiropractic and acupuncture has proven to be of great help to various patients who suffer it.
Some basic treatment approaches to spinal stenosis that we provide at Complete Chiropractic Dee Why :
- The conservative approach of proper exercise routines and posture corrections to minimise the effect on the affected area.
- The conservative chiropractic approach, which includes manipulation, exercise
Want to learn more about spinal stenosis treatment in the Terry Hills? Ask us how chiropractic care can help you.